During a Renewal Conference at our church, Dr. Timothy Tennent, President of Asbury Theological Seminary, gave an engaging illustration. When a person enters a shopping mall, they almost immediately encounter a large locator map. A person can then find the location of various stores such as shoe stores, book stores, department stores, etc. Perhaps the most significant point on the map in front of you is the ‘You Are Here’ position. You need to know where you are in order to choose the directions to where you want to go.
Dr. Tennet shared about the ‘fall’ of man in the beginning and later the ‘redemption’ of man through Jesus. At each juncture, he used the phrase ‘You Are Here’. I thought, What an important concept if we want to accurately chart our journey to heaven.
For example, we must know where we are in order to start the journey.
When you start your journey, You Are Here:
- “Therefore, just as sin came into the world through one man, and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because all sinned.” (Romans 5:12.)
- “For as by the one man’s disobedience the many were made sinners.” (Romans 5:19)
- “For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God.” (Romans 3:23)
By realizing where we are, we can then acknowledge our sins and receive forgiveness and justification through Jesus. “For if many died through one man’s trespass, much more have the grace of God and the free gift by the grace of that one man Jesus Christ abounded for many” (Romans 5:15).
Once you have received Jesus as your Savior, You Are Here:
- “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” (John 1:12)
- As you move ahead toward your destination know this: “… if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.” (1 John 1:9)
When you near the end of your life’s journey, You Are Here:
- Jesus said, “And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.” (John 14:3-6)
Prayer: Lord, when we finally walk through Heaven’s gates, may we hear you say, “You Are Here”!
~ Brother Roy