- Sodom and Gomorrah were lovers
- Jezebel was Ahab’s donkey
- The gospel writers were Matthew, Mark, ‘Luther’ and John
- Eve was created from an apple
- Jesus was baptized by Moses
These were actual responses, but the ‘best’ answer came from a boy who was in the top 5% of his class academically. The question was, “What was Golgotha?”. The answer he gave was, “Golgotha was the name of the giant that slew the apostle David”.
If it were not so pathetic, it would be hilarious. What a pity that so many people are illiterate of God’s written Word. In a land filled with churches, chapels, and tabernacles, in a land of radio, and T.V. broadcasts, it seems that only a small handful of students know much about the Book of Books. We have the Scriptures easily available in hardback, paperback, cloth and leather bound – versions, translations, and paraphrases too numerous to count. We have Bible dictionaries, lectionaries, and commentaries, yet we are becoming more Biblically illiterate with the passing of time.
We are starving for the Word of God. Are these the days prophesied by Amos ( Amos 8:11-13)? “Behold, the days come, saith the Lord God, that I will send a famine in the land, not a famine of bread, nor a thirst for water, but of hearing the words of the Lord. And they shall wander from sea to sea and from the north even to the east, they shall run to and fro to seek the word of the Lord, and shall not find it. In that day shall the fair virgins and young men faint for thirst.”
As disturbing as the high school students’ responses were, an even more alarming survey appeared some time back. A national periodical published a survey of seminary students entitled The Startling Beliefs of Our Future Ministers. The survey was made across several major denominations. The survey results follow:
- Do you believe in the virgin birth of Christ – No – 56%
- Do you believe in the physical resurrection? – No – 54%
- Do you believe in a literal heaven and hell? – No – 71%
- Do you believe in the deity of Christ? – No – 89%
- Do you believe that man is separated from God by birth (doctrine of depravity)? – Not concerned – 98%
- Do you believe in the second coming of Jesus? – No – 99%
The prophet Hosea sounds a warning! “ My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge … seeing thou hast forgotten the law of God, I will also forget thy children” (Hosea 4: 6). The giant of the lack of knowledge of God’s Word is slaying us.
Prayer: Lord, let us hide your Word in our hearts that we may not sin against you (Psa. 119:11). Help us to teach your Word to our children, speaking of them when we sit in our houses, when we walk by the way, when we lie down and when we rise up. (Deu. 11:19).
~ Brother Roy