The month of October is an interesting time. It brings to mind fall leaves, shorter days, and of course, Halloween. Children don costumes, knock on doors, and utter those hopeful words: ‘trick-or-treat’. More and more adults are indulging in the frivolities of Halloween. Costume stores do an unbelievable business. This country spends multiplied millions of dollars on home and yard decorations.
While most of this may seem innocent fun, may I raise a more sinister thought? I’ll even raise a question, “Are you involved in witchcraft?” The expected response is likely, “Of course not!” But consider the Word of the Lord found in 1 Samuel 15:22-23 (NKJ): “Has the Lord as great a delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the Lord? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed than the fat of rams. For rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft, And stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry.”
Webster’s World New Thesaurus relates the following terms to ‘rebellion’: disobedient, resistant, disloyal, individualistic, independent-minded, malcontent, resist lawful authority, insubordinate, deserter. Do any of the terms describe you – or me? May I supply a few examples from Scriptures (New Century Translation);
- James 1:19, “ My dear brothers and sisters, always be willing to listen and slow to speak. Do not become angry easily, because anger will not help you live the right kind of life God wants.
- James 1:26-27, “ If anyone one among you thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless. Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world.
- James 4:17, “ Anyone who knows the right thing to do, but doesn’t do it, is sinning.
- Matthew 28:19, “So go and make followers of all people in the world. Baptize them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. Teach them to obey everything that I have taught you, and I will be with you always, even until the end of this age.
- Malachi 3:8, “Should a man rob God? But you are robbing me. You ask, ‘How have we robbed you?’ ‘You have robbed me in your offerings and the tenth of your crops. So a curse is on you…”
- James 2:19-20, “You believe there is one God. Good! But the demons believe that, too, and they tremble with fear. You foolish person! Must you be shown that faith that does nothing is worth nothing?”
- Matthew 7:21. Jesus said, “Not all of those who say ‘You are our Lord’, will enter the kingdom of heaven. The only people who will enter the kingdom of heaven are those who do what my Father in heaven wants.”
You don’t have to wear black and stir a cauldron of bat wing potion to practice witchcraft. Just be rebellious. When He says go, you don’t go. When He says give, you don’t give. When you know the right thing to do, you don’t do it.
“Disobedience is as bad as the sin of sorcery (witchcraft).” 1 Samuel 15:23
~ Brother Roy