There are times when I feel like I’m my own worst enemy. Two areas come quickly to my mind. Sometimes, I trust in my own ability and do not trust the Lord to be the strong arm on which I rely. There are also times when my mouth gets me in trouble. Recently, I saw a small sign that caught my attention. It read, “Lord, keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.” I could definitely relate to that little sign. I now frequently use this ‘little saying’ as a prayer.
I’ll share some scriptures that I’ve found to be helpful. They speak to me in relation to the struggles mentioned above.
Lord, Keep Your Arm Around My Shoulder
- Isaiah 33:2 (ESV), “ O Lord, be gracious to us; we wait for you. Be our arm every morning, our salvation in the time of trouble.”
- Deuteronomy 33:27 (ESV), “ The eternal God is your dwelling place, and underneath are the everlasting arms.”
Lord, Keep Your Hand Over My mouth
- Proverbs 21:23 (ESV), “Whoever keeps his mouth and his tongue keeps himself out of trouble.”
- James 1:19 (ESV), “ Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger;”
- 1 Peter 3:10 (ESV),“Whoever desires to love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking deceit:”
Isaiah 51:5(b) : “And for My arm they wait.”
~ Brother Roy