Recently, I saw a cartoon in the newspaper. It depicted a car at the edge of a cliff surrounded by fierce looking bears. The caption emanating from the car read, “Recalculating, recalculating – You seem to have reached your final destination”.
In a previous NHIM devotion post, I shared my belief that we have a spiritual ‘GPS’ system placed within each of us by God. He nestled within man’s being a tracking device that is called the soul. God’s ever-watchful eye knows our location. Scripture tells us that the heavenly father “compassest my path and my lying down, and is acquainted with all my ways” (Psalm 139:3). The Message Translation says it beautifully: “I’m never out of your (God’s) sight.”
This humorous cartoon reminded me of the previous devotional. It also sent a flood of new ideas and scriptures through my mind concerning God’s guidance provisions.
- God Has Pre-programmed Us To Go The Right Way. “For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them” (Romans 2:14-15). “This is the covenant that I will make with them after those days, saith the Lord, I will put my laws into their hearts, and in their minds will I write them” (Hebrews 10:16).
- We Have Clear Directions. “Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life” (John 14:5-6). We need to take advice from Solomon, reputed to be the wisest man who ever lived: “In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your path” (Proverbs 3:6).
- God’s Directions Can Be Ignored. “…keeping faith and a good conscience, which some have rejected and suffered shipwreck in regard to their faith” (1 Timothy 1:19).
- There Is a Final Destination. “And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27).
- There Is A Point Where Recalculating Is No Longer Possible. “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great a salvation” (Hebrews 2:3). “No man has power to retain the spirit, or power over the day of death” (Ecclesiastes 8:8).
Where are you in your journey through life? Is the Lord directing your path? If not, please ‘recalculate’ now while you have an opportunity. Please don’t wait to follow God’s way until you come your final destination.
Recalculate – Recalculate
~ Brother Roy