Streets and highways are usually marked with safety signs and traffic lights to help keep us safe. Colors range from green for ‘go’ to red for ‘stop’. The yellow signs represent ‘caution’ or ‘proceed with caution’. As in driving, when we attempt to negotiate the roadways of life, we need to be alert for signage the Lord provides that can help keep us safe.
There are many green lights in God’s word signaling ‘go’. The word ‘go’ appears 1492 times in KJV of the Bible. I offer but two examples:
- “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)
- “I was glad when they said to me, ‘Let us go into the house of the Lord.'” (Psalm 122:1)
Numerous examples of red Biblical ‘stop signs’ could be offered as well. Prime examples can be found in the Exodus 20:2-17. Referred to as the Ten Commandments, eight of ten of these beneficial laws for living are stop signs. I offer two examples:
- “You shall have no other gods before me ” (v.2)
- “You shall not commit adultery” (v.14)
Now, I wish to direct attention to some of the Lord’s yellow ‘caution signs’:
- “Therefore be careful how you walk, not as unwise men but as wise” (Ephesians 5:15)
- “So take diligent heed to yourselves to love the LORD your God” (Joshua 23:11)
- “Therefore let him who thinks he stands take heed that he does not fall” (1 Corinthians 10:12)
Have you noticed, as I have, motorists flying through a caution light to his or her own detriment? Others ignore the bright yellow caution signs, at times with disastrous results. Caution signs mean ‘warning – there is danger ahead’. Just because there is no STOP sign, it does not mean all ahead full! In the spiritual world, we need to slow down and assess the consequences of our actions when people, circumstances, or scripture advise caution. So many ‘train wrecks’ in life could be avoided if only we would heed the caution signs the Lord provides.
“They are blessed who hear God’s Message and carefully keep it.” (Luke 11:28)
~ Brother Roy