My modest retirement account has taken a hit in recent days with the major stock market drop. Economic stability appears allusive at best. Worldwide financial crisis, international and domestic terrorism, global climate change, deteriorating religious and moral standards, and rising crime rates are but a few of the indicators of universal instability. It seems in almost every area, our lives are filled with uncertainty.
However, as a believer I rejoice that life in Christ Jesus can set us free from the fears of a changing world. Jesus said, “If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free” (John 8:31-32, NKJV). What a blessed freedom it is to walk through the days of our lives with the Savior!
Next to the Bible, my favorite book is the hymnal. As I was thinking about the freedom I experience in the face of uncertain circumstances, lines of favorite hymns flooded my mind. Limited space prohibits quoting the full lyrics of these songs, but feel free to review the whole hymns, if you desire. They will bless your heart.
- Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine! Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine! Heir of salvation, purchase of God, born of His Spirit, washed in His blood. This is my story, this is my song, praising my Savior all the day long;
- Shadows around me, shadows above me, never conceal my Savior and Guide; He is the Light, in Him is no darkness; Ever I’m walking close to His side.
- So let the storm clouds rage high, the dark clouds rise, they don’t bother me; for I’m sheltered in the arms of God. He walks with me, and naught of earth shall harm me, for I’m sheltered in the arms of God.
- So, amid the conflict whether great or small, do not be disheartened, God is over all. Count your many blessings, angels will attend, help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.
- Are there shadows of deep disappointment, and trusts that have proven untrue? Has the darkness of night settled round you, has your hope and your faith wavered too? Standing somewhere in the shadows you’ll find Jesus, He’s the Friend who always cares and understands.
- Standing on the promises that cannot fail, when the howling storms of doubt and fear assail, by the living Word of God I shall prevail, standing on the promises of God.
- When darkness seems to hide His face, I rest on His unchanging grace. In every high and stormy gale, my anchor holds within the veil. On Christ the solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand.
The Next Time You Get Fretful, Try Humming Through The Hymnal. It Will Calm Your Heart.
~ Brother Roy