Two elderly sisters, both devout Christians, were approaching the end their days on earth. One of the sisters was in critical condition in the hospital. The other sister, only slightly better, came for what perhaps was their final visit. The healthier of the two leaned over her failing sister and whispered to her that this could be the last they would see each other in the ‘land of the living’. The weaker sister smiled and with a faint voice responded, “No, this may be the last time we see each other in the land of the dying.”
What beautiful insight and confidence she had in the waning hours of her physical life. All of us will face those final moments. May we have the peace and assurance that the dying sister had. Several scriptures come to my mind that can provide comfort for the time when the light of this life begins to fade.
- “The sting of death is sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.” (1 Corinthians 15:55,57, NIV)
- “I write these things to you who believe in the name of the Son of God so that you may know that you have eternal life.” (1 John 5:13, NIV)
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.” (John 11:25-26, NIV)
- “Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.” (John 14:1-3, NIV)
- “And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.” (Revelation 21:4, NKJV)
Yea, though I walk
Through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil;
For You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff,
They comfort me.
~ Brother Roy