My ministry in the mountains of Eastern Kentucky necessitates regular travel on crooked roads. One of the most frequent and necessary road signs is the familiar yellow sign that lets drivers know there are curves in the road ahead. They are reminders to slow down. The reflective signs can be seen day or night and indicate the road curves to the right or left.
Scripture can serve as the bright yellow signs to alert the spiritual driver of curves ahead. The hectic pace of life often sends us hurrying down highways with many twists and turns. We need to let God’s word and the presence of the Holy Spirit draw our attention to dangerous situations that may lie ahead.
When we rush into the day without taking time to pray and seek the Lord’s direction, we are prone to miss the warning signs. Here are some scriptures that are wise to consider:
- “In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths” (Proverbs 3:6, ESV).
- “Lead me, Lord, in your righteousness because of my enemies (the curves); make your way straight before me” (Psalm 5:8, NIV).
- “Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them fade from your heart…” (Deutertonomy 4:9, NIV).
- “So be on your guard; I have told you everything ahead of time” (Mark 13:23).
- “Keep a cool head. Stay alert. The Devil is poised to pounce, and would like nothing better than to catch you napping. Keep your guard up” (1 Peter 5:8, MSG).
“Be very careful, then, how you live (drive)—not as unwise but as wise.”
~ Ephesians 5:15 (NIV) ~
~ Brother Roy