One of our morning coffee crew at Fitch’s Store often graces our conversations with interesting comments. Dwight’s ‘Kentuckyisms’ add humor and sometimes insight to our ruminations. One morning, as we discussed what it meant to be poor, Dwight offered this gem: “The soles on my shoes are so thin I can stand on a worn dime and tell you if its heads or tails!” No one at the table could top him that morning on the topic of – ‘How poor are you?’
Most of us grumble from time to time about high prices, higher taxes, even higher costs of medical necessities, etc. The truth be told, the majority of us probably never had it so good. It is hard to measure real wealth. God’s word has a lot to say about both being rich and being poor.
There are those who possess earthly wealth, but are poor toward God;
- “Surely every man walks about like a shadow; Surely, they busy themselves in vain; he heaps up riches, and does not know who will gather them.” (Psalm 39:6)
- God says, “I will vomit you out of my mouth. Because you say, I am rich, have become wealthy and have need of nothing – and do not know that you that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked.” (Revelation 3:17)
- A certain rich man said, “And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry. But God said to him, ‘Fool’! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided. So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.” (Luke 12:18-19)
- Jesus said, “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven…For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” (Matthew 6:19,21)
There are those with little of this world’s goods, but are rich in faith toward God;
- “Listen, my beloved brethren: Has God not chosen the poor of this world to be rich in faith and heirs of the kingdom which He promised to those who love Him?” (James 2:5)
- “For He shall stand at the right hand of the poor.” (Psalm 109:31)
- “A faithful man will abound with blessings, but he who hastens to be rich will not go unpunished.” (Proverbs 28:20)
- “A little that a righteous man has is better than the riches of the wicked.” (Psalm 37:16)
- “The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it.” (Proverbs 10:22)
I’d rather have Jesus than silver or gold.
I’d rather have Jesus than riches untold.
I rather have Jesus than houses or land.
I’d rather be led by His nail-scarred hand.
– Rhea F. Miller
~ Brother Roy