New Hope International Ministries helps with the operation of the Abiding Hope Food Pantry at Bear Pen Worship Center in Eastern Kentucky. Approximately 350 families are served by this vital ministry.
To preserve the food in the pantry, it is necessary to maintain both cool temperatures in the summer and above freezing temperatures in winter. Our traditional system was old and inefficient, and utilities costs weighed heavy on the budget. A friend told us of a relatively inexpensive system that would meet our needs and be less expensive to operate. He introduced us to the ‘Mini-Split’ unit. Mini-Split heating and cooling systems are comprised of a small outdoor/indoor unit that requires nothing more than mounting capabilities and access to electricity. It resembles a window mount air conditioner unit and can move efficiently between heating and cooling. The Mini-Split units helped solve our problem.
In the physical world, a unit like the Mini-Split that alternates between cooling and heating can be the answer. Not so much in the spiritual world. Blowing both hot and cold is not a virtue to be cultivated in Christ’s kingdom here on earth:
- “These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the ruler of God’s creation. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth” (Revelation 3:14-16).
- “No one can serve two masters; for either he will hate the one and love the other, or else he will be loyal to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve God and mammon” (Matthew 6:24, NIV).
Are you a lukewarm Christian? Scripture says, “Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you—unless, of course, you fail the test?” (2 Corinthians 13:5, NIV). The following are some indicators of a lukewarm Christian:
- No true confession of personal sin, no repentance, no sorrow, and no lasting change
- Only wants to be a Christian because of fear of hell
- Only comes to God when there is a problem
- Goes to church on Sunday, is self-centered the other six days of the week
- Believes Christianity is about God doing things for them and making them happy
- Doesn’t obey the Word of God and may even try to twist Scripture to justify sin
- Compromises with the world because it’s the popular choice and everybody’s doing it
- Spends little time in God’s word and prayer
- Gives little time to reaching out to those in need
- Loves to say things like, “I’m only human;” “Everybody sins every day in thought, word, and deed;” “Nobody is perfect;” “Do not judge;” “It’s not my fault”
- Is unwilling to make sacrifices
- Any sacrifices made are small and won’t affect lifestyle
Do you find items on the above list to be characteristics of your spiritual life? Would the Savior say of you, “I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot” (Revelation 3:15, KJV)?
Don’t Be A Spiritual Splitter!